Thursday, May 15, 2008

a taste of the good stuff

Today was one of those days that make me feel like I could live In Siguatepeque for at least another year. These days are few and far between, so when they happen I feel like it is a good idea to harness this bliss and write it down.

Perla, in second grade, brought a kitten to school today for one of the teachers who seems to collect small animals from children. Apparently she has received too many small pets and declined this one. The kitten was only 3 weeks old, give or take a day or two, and was white with black and orange spots. Of course I fell in love with this little kitten and was thrilled to be its caretaker while in the second grade classroom. I was fairly certain that Dafne or Andrea would tromple over and smash the cat at some point, but surprisingly enough the cat’s life was spared. In the end Mr. Byron took Mimi, the white, orange and black kitten home with him.

After I was done teaching for the day (two periods early on Thursday and Fridays) I was called to Karla’s classroom (the pre school teacher) to practice for the staff only talent show, which will be presented during Anniversary Week, two weeks from now. I have sort of been dreading this show as I have lost the summer camp show off in me. But practice today was really fun. I need to practice not taking myself so seriously all the time. I taught all the other teachers the electric slide, which we did to some fast paced reggaeton, and then afterwards we fooled around doing other dances. Saul was in his element and maybe had the most fun making up new dance moves. After dance practice we had band practice...(i wish you all could see the smile on my face right now.....i feel happy). Now if my memory is correct, I was kicked out of the band in the sixth grade. Which should bring shame to my family name as my father (Papa Drummond) is a drummer after all! Well boy would he have been proud today! I took that drum and I played it. My part is kind of boring so I made up some new beats that I thought sounded great! Finally, once everyone had learned their part we rocked out. I played my assigned part and realized with all the other instruments it wasn’t so boring at all. Saul and Charles were the other drummers, and we found a nice rhythm. Now I am excited for the show and excited for the practices which are bound to happen at the end of each day.

The sunset on my way into town was also astonishing. All the dust that blows around all day (making me sneeze like a banshee) is reflected off the sun and makes beautiful colors. Now I will go to Morgan’s house (she finally moved to Siguatepeque....for her last month here) and cook some dinner and download an entire CD of my new favorite, Mana. I am not going to hold my breath that tomorrow I feel so happy and content here....but today I sure did get a taste of the good stuff!

No comments: