Sunday, June 29, 2008

jungle boogie

I haven’t updated my blog in so long I sort of forgot I had one in the first place. Since I last wrote, school has finished and I have secured a new line of work. As perhaps you remember I talked with Oscar and Darwin all about development project ideas and life in the jungle when I first visited the Jungle River Lodge. Since that initial conversation I have decided to work with Oscar to implement his ideas. I have no idea what will become of this but it seems so full of potential I have to offer my assistance. I will also be managing the Banana Republic Hostel, which is connected to the Jungle River Lodge. I am excited about my new endeavors, while quite nervous as well. This is the type of work I can see myself doing for a long time and while it is scary to make a commitment to something that doesn’t really exist yet, life is all about taking risks. No one ever got too far doing nothing but dreaming. Risk is always a factor when turning those dreams into reality.

I have been back again and again to La Ceiba and to the Jungle River Lodge. The most exciting weekend was Carnaval, which was the third weekend in May. Saturday night of Carnaval – the grand night of festivities – was so vibrant and alive. For about 12 blocks the street was a dancehall. Every three blocks or so there was a stage with some type of music and women with sparkles and feathers shaking their booties. Rankin, one of the guide from the Jungle, acted as our tour guide and took us (Morgan, Charles and I) all around. We found a man on the street selling guiffiti – jungle roots and herbs saturated in rum – We walked up and down the street, through masses of people, and finally settled at a sound system with a great DJ playing all types of music. Mel and Tobi (my Australian friends) were also there and we danced the night away. Around 4:00am I went to bed. Around 6:30 in the morning Morgan woke me up and we decided to spend the day at the Jungle River Lodge. After a leisurely breakfast we jumped into the river where we were joined by Rankin and Darwin. The four of us swam for what seemed like hours making jokes and loving our lives. It was amazing to have the whole place to ourselves on a bright sunny day with the river perfectly swimmable. Those two men, Rankin and Darwin, have effervescence about them. They are so content with themselves, confident but without ego. Watching them feel so free and comfortable with everything they do is so inspiring and I hope this free spirit lifestyle is contagious.

I was in the jungle the other night. I went to see Oscar to make sure everything was set for my move next weekend. It was just my luck that he was in Tegucigalpa for a relative’s wedding. Darwin was there, back from a trek into La Mosquitia with some UNC students. I hung out with two girls from UNC, which was fun female companionship (a rare treat). Of course we had a little dance party and drank too much wine and guiffiti. After we were plenty saucy we went up the road to a birthday party of another rafting guide from a different outfitter. Everyone I met and talked to that lives along el Rio Cangrejal is really friendly and welcoming. Next week I plan to go back up the river and talk to all of these people I met in a hazy stupor and hear their stories about life on the river and their take on community tourism in El Naranjo.

Darwin is going to Costa Rica for a couple of months to guide along a river down there. He was supposed to leave the first of July, but is postponing his departure for a week so he can make sure I settle into my jungle life.

I have a feeling that Darwin’s little sister, Tania, is going to be a great link into the community of El Naranjo. I am giving her English lessons twice a week and we have already become fast friends.

Osacr, Oscarito, Ana, Dennis, Dennis, Queso, Spicer, and all the rest of the Jungle Crew I haven’t met yet, I am ready for the jungle boogie!! Who knows what will happen out there but there will be more stories to come, this much I know.

No comments: